Legal, Bioethical, & Economic Concerns at Play in Biotechnology
1176 Tourmaline Dr, Thousand Oaks, CA 91320
- The word derives from βίος (bios) “life” + τέχνη (techne) “craft” or “skill.”
- Biotechnology is the act of engineering living organisms to perform tasks or functions that serve human needs, as well as the industries that develop the technologies that perform such tasks and functions.
- Ancient applications include fermentation (bread, cheese, wine), food production, and medicine.
- In the past century, biotechnology has expanded to include genomics, recombinant gene technologies, applied immunology, pharmaceutical therapies and diagnostic tests.
Legal Seminars alert participants to new laws and clarify application of existing laws. Learn more about biotechnology law here.
Occasionally attorneys with a particular field of expertise will discuss “Hot Topics” in the area of Biotechnology.
In May 2015, Doctor Discovery and Richard Elsley, PhD. presented a seminar on Climate Change.
- June 4, 2015 – “Creating and Protecting an Effective IP Portfolio – Recent Industry Trends” presented by Jeffrey F. Craft, Consulting Attorney at Arent Fox LLP
- Dec. 4, 2014 – “What the Experience with Evolution Can Teach Us About Socio-Cultural Forces Against Science”
- July 10, 2014 “Biological Intangible Property: Preserving Genetic and Horticultural Heritage” presented by a panel moderated by Angela Kirwin, Applied Anthropologist
- June 12, 2014 – “Animals in Biotechnology – Medical Discovery & Animal Welfare: Dispelling the Myths,” presented by Laura Jones, Certified Manager of Animal Resources
- May 1, 2014 – “GE Fish – Frankenfish or Food For The Masses,” panel: Sean Anderson, PhD; Mari Rockenstein, JD; Steve Norris, PhD; Moderator: Panda Kroll, JD
- April 3, 2014 – “3D Printing Intellectual Property Issues,” presented by Steve Sereboff, JD, SoCal IP Law Group LLC
- March 6, 2014 – “From Bench-Top to Bank – Monetizing Scientific Expertise,” presented by Michael Ram, JD, DSc
- February 6, 2014 – “Ethics and Issues Related to Patent Troll Abuse,” presented by Jonathan Pearce, Partner at SoCal IP Law Group LLC
- January 7, 2014 – “‘GMO,’ ‘Natural,’ and ‘Organic’ Labels,” moderated by Panda Kroll, JD, lecturer in Biotech Law & Regulation at CSUCI
Ventura County Star – Bentley, Amy. “Groups to Host Biotech Series.” Ventura County Star, 5 Mar. 2014. Print.
Pacific Coast Times – Nellis, Stephen. “Thousand Oaks law seminars focus on big questions in biotech.” Pacific Coast Business Times, 14 March 2014. Print.
CSU Channel Islands – “CI Announces Biotechnology Law Seminars.” California State University Channel Islands, 20 Feb. 2014. Online.